Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sixth Day Of Techno



Today started off crappy.
I'd gotten a pretty rad drum pattern going, but the melody I was tweaking wasn't working. I'd chopped it up, loaded into Battery, and still couldn't get something I liked.
Then my Oberheim broke!

I used to work in a music store (This One) for six or seven years, these particular synths have a habit of losing voices due to loose chips. This had happened a few times before, but usually smacking it on the side would fix it. (I promise the tech at Paul's Boutique is more professional than me, I was just a sales guy. He'd probably punch me if he found out I was beating on my synths as a repair method) So I spent the next hour opening it up, and re-seating all the chips. It was actually sort of fun!

At this point, I ditched most of the content I'd come up with, and went all out videogame styles on it. It was really fun. Bit crushing and bit reducing everything into oblivion. Then further side chaining everything to hell.

It's worth mentioning that I've sort of come full circle on my opinion of plugins. I used to assume that bigger better plugins, meant better sounding mixes. Then as I got all the bigger better plugs (UAD, iZotope etc) I was finding my mixes didn't really sound much better. So I spent a few years really studying mixing technique. And now the irony is, as I've gained a better grasp on eq, and compression, I'm just as happy to use the stock logic EQs and Compressors, as I am the fancy UAD and iZotope. I'm actually a pretty big fan of the "optical" setting on the Logic compressor for side chaining. And it's sort of a shame that you can't side chain UAD plugs in Logic.

After lunch, I worked out the whole intro. It was sort of fun. It actually sort of made me a bit nostalgic. I played way to many video games as a kid.
I sampled my Casio SK-1, and re-chopped the drums into a different pattern. I wanted it to be sounds that we'd all heard growing up in the 80s. And I wanted to have a track that has a similar energy to the stuff I really like, but has a sonic stamp.

I'm starting to run a little dry on ideas. I hope I can keep this all up.
The Sixth Day of Techno by Spell 'n Math

No comments:

Post a Comment