Friday, March 25, 2011

Second Day of Techno



Today started out again with the Drums in Battery.
Kick, Snare, Shakers, a Tambourine on the upbeats. Some massively side-chained rides. For melody, I lucked out. When programming the drums I'd accidentally switched to a synth in logic, and played a couple of notes that sounded kinda awesome. Sort of Life Aquatic meets Day n Night. It gave it a cool simple melody that was rad.

The middle part was the hard bit. I wanted to go into a triplet freakout, but getting out of a straight 4/4 into tripplets can be tricky.
I went to town with the synths. I spent a really long time trying to get CV into my Oberheim so I could control the filter, but I think the Pitch/Modwheel portions of my Paia Midi to CV converter are busted. So I wasted an hour screwing about.

So I piled on more and more triplets with filters and sync'd oscillators building and climbing. Then half way stereo Oberheims through a big muff. I'd just created a NIN track. Oooops!

I wanted to have a synth with an LFO switching between 4/4, Tripplets, and 6/4. Again, I spent an hour setting something up in Logic's environment that would allow me to do this on the fly, but the automation was super sloppy! I'd play it perfectly then it would come back all out of sync. So I was forced to use 3 different instances of Massive all with different LFO settings. Logic needs to get punched in the nuts. Then it all falls apart and drops back into the the intro part, with a jazzy drum break I programmed with Abby Road drums buried in the back. It sounds super absurd after the synth freakout in the middle; enough so that my room mate and I busted up laughing when it came back in.

Anyway, here's the sample, again unfinished. The transition is still pretty rough.
The Second Day of Techno by Peter Project

No comments:

Post a Comment