Friday, March 25, 2011

Fourth Day of Techno



Today I think I kicked some ass.
I didn't get a lot done in terms of length, but what I did get done is pretty bad ass.
I put a little bit of swing in the drums to keep them from being strictly 16th notes, and went for some heavy hitting samples. I layered some heavy kicks and did a neat clicky thing with some snaps so that they sort of work like shakers, but have an oldschool hip-hop kind of thing.

Then I wrote a bunch of orchestral stabs and pads using my sample librarys, and mixed them down, chopped them up, and loaded them into Battery where I sonically destroyed them. I've been into setting really short loop points, and modulating them with wheels, or envelopes, so you can get this really screwed up distorted deconstructed mechanical sound. Super rad. So I came up with a pretty awesome sequence using this, and augmented it with some Massive bass, and Oberheim vibrato stabs.

I wasn't sure where to go with it, so I decided to put in a massively pretentious piano break that sounds like something off a Faith no More record. Fuck it, it's kind of hilarious and awesome. I didn't have any vocals on the record yet, so I dug into a session I did for a Maylee Todd, and stole some accapellas. These got chopped and pitched and dropped again into Battery. The lyrics are abstract, but it still sounds cool. I hope she doesn't get mad ; )

I then took these accapellas, and did the screwed up manipulated loop points, and stretched them out into the intro. As they play I slowly lowered the threshold on the Side Chained compressors so they start to pump with the rhythm before the drums actually drop. On a side note. Why isn't accapella in my spell check? I still have no idea if I'm spelling it right. Google has it both ways.

Ok. I'm going WAY overboard with this side chaining compression business. I'm side chaining EVERYTHING. Revebs, delays. Pretty much nothing gets away from getting massively compressed off the kick. It's just so FUN!

Here it is.
The Fourth Day of Techno by Spell 'n Math

3 comments:

  1. The soft piano/vocal took me by surprise! Nice surprise that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I don't see any balloon wallpaper in the pics. You gotta have ballon wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete