Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Seventh Day of Techno



On this track, I really wanted to use some drums from a drum sampling session I did a couple of summers ago, where I just had a bunch of friends of mine come in and play drums. I then categorized them by style and BPM.

I took a break played by a friend Paul Sheppard. Logic's flex tools are great for these as it lets me stretch the beats to whatever bpm I'm using.

I mixed the break trying to get it as close to good slamming dance drums as I could. Then I chopped them up, and loaded them into battery. I layered the snares with an 808 clap, and layered the kick with a classic 909 kick. So by now, it hardly sounds like live drums at all. I guess it isn't really.

It seems in my futsing around with my oberheim, I accidentally uncalibrated one of the voices, so one in eight notes plays way too loud, so I went to a soft synth to play the main progression.

The lead synth is the Octave Cat. The Cat has tuning issues, and wont really play in tune for more than an octave. It's usually reserved for freaky synth freakouts.

I've been listening a lot to Marklion courtesy of my friend Maria. And there are a couple of tracks where he goes to town with a 303. I love the sound of the 303, but I'm always really nervous of using it as it can sound insanely 90s. But then the thing is, I love the 90s. So screw it.

I don't own a 303. And the 303 emulator I have seems to be crashing Logic every time I load it (It was just a demo anyway), so I disabled all the voices on my Oberheim except for one, and went for a total 303 vibe on it. It still sounds a little fat for a 303, but I just spoke to a friend of mine who's gonna hook me up with an authentic 303! Sweeeeeet!

Then out came the Mini for the cool delayed part that goes over the track.

It came out sounding sort of MSTRKRFTish, which is cool. We'll see where it ends up once I flesh it out.
Seventh Day of Techno by Spell 'n Math

No comments:

Post a Comment