Monday, April 4, 2011

Ninth Day of Techno



I'm sick as balls, and I've slacked a little.
I took Friday off to speak to an awesome class of grade fives about music which was completely awesome. I showed them some clips of shows and games I've worked on, and then got then to help me make a hip-hop beat on my MPC. I was then treated to a private performance by 2 clarinetists, and a french horn player. They played the rhythm section of Rockin' Robin. We had to hum the melody. It was pretty awesome.

Anyway, today's track. I went full 90s, and full on Talkbox.
I started by sampling some bass rifs. I mixed them down, and ran them through an AKAI S900 to give it a nice crappy 12 bit sound. Then I chopped it up, and dropped it into Battery. I then replayed it, and screwed with the pitch, and loop points. Pretty much just mangled them. It sounds pretty much full on Chemical Brothers. Then I messed about with the drums, and came up with some pretty cool percussion.
I'm sick as hell, so I took a break and bought some Drugs, and pounded a bunch of coffee, played some Fallout 3, then busted out the Talk box.

Talk Boxes are cool as hell, but a super pain in the ass to use. It involves playing something, then sending it through an amplifier, out of the amplifier, into a box, which blasts the sound up a tube and into your mouth. Then you mic up your mouth. It's really hard to use without getting the sound of your tongue slobbering all over the tube.

I started with the opening arpeggiated bit at the start. That's an FM8 being arpeggiated off my Akai, then blasted into my mouth. Then for the "yea yea"s I multi-tracked my Oberheim, and the fm8.

It's still very much a sketch. We'll see where it finally goes.

Tenth Day of Techno by Spell 'n Math

2 comments: